Since this was an extra credit show I will be brief. Potsy an I decided on an impromptu night out last Monday for the Veils show at DC9.
Things I liked:
1.The opening song by The Veils (even with the technical difficulties). good, bluesy number with a bit of energy. Lead singer Finn Andrews even knocked over the mic stand with his flailing guitar. The band was at its best playing the blues rock. Andrews has a gravelly voice reminiscent of Nick Cave, with the appearance and emotion of Jeff Buckley. The show had its flashes of brilliance.
2. I came up with an excellent idea for a documentary about those kids in the beauty pageants ala Little Miss Sunshine. I thought it would be interesting to see how they turn out, like 20 years later. My guess is that they are all fucked up in the head. There was alot more to this idea, but I digress...
3. The bass player was good looking.
Things I did not like:
1. When The Veils played the slow jams ala Coldplay. It bored me to tears. Stick with the rock.
2. The doofus who talked the entire show. What is it lately with the loud talking during a bands set. This happened at BRMC as well. The dude at DC9 was a fucking drunk tool with a goofy t-shirt. So, Mr. Talker, if you are reading this, you're a toolbag.
3. I am not a huge fan of DC9. Its like one small step above Velvet Lounge.
It was a decent night out. I was expecting a bit more, but it was better than sitting at home watching Monday night TV. I give the show an 82 (B-).